Friday, May 23, 2008

My 44th Birthday

Today is my 44th birthday. I really thought I’d be feeling “old” and weird about it, but as I pondered it, I realized that I actually feel younger than I have for awhile. I have come to realize that I am very likely only ½ way through my life, and goodness, that’s not a great time to be feeling old!!! It’s time to really LIVE!!

It was kind of funny at the breakfast table yesterday. My 13-year-old Michelle was discussing my upcoming birthday. I told her that now that I am turning 44 I am officially in my “mid-40’s” instead of my early 40’s. She assured me that the only “mid-40” is 45; before that you are early 40’s and after that you are late 40’s. I really liked that idea! However, I don’t think my 47-year-old dear hubby did!!!

This last year has been a really tough year for me, but a really amazing year. I have learned more in the last year than I had in many years. This last year I have learned to build a website, write a blog, buy a trademark, do office billing, be the Primary President, make a new type of baby blanket, and be a grandma, along with other “odds and ends” lessons!! I have also learned that I have more patience, intelligence, and talents than I realized.

I hope that I have learned, better than ever before, to “cherish the moment.” As I watch my children growing up to be wonderful human beings and as they leave home and start their own lives, I realize how short and precious are those few years we have them. Hopefully I am internalizing the concepts of “don’t sweat the small stuff” and “choose your battles.”

I have hopefully learned to really put my life in the Lord’s hands – to “jump on, hold on, and enjoy the ride.” Of course, as we all know, this is an on-going process! Just when we think we have it all figured out, the Lord decides to give a test here and there to see just how devoted we are to that concept!!!

No comments: