Friday, March 12, 2010

I Have Become My Grandma!!

When I was growing up we used to chuckle at my grandma a bit because she had white index cards with notes written in green ink taped everywhere; they were all over her desk that was in the nook just off of the kitchen, they were on the refrigerator, they were on many of the cupboards in her kitchen.  There were notes to remind her to set the oven at 350' at a certain time, notes to pick up dry cleaning, and even notes taped to the back of the front door to remind her how much she owed the delivery man when he came (this is where I first learned what C.O.D. means as it was written on one of her "cards.") My grandma would have absolutely loved sticky notes!!!


One day a couple of years ago, I looked at my counter by my phone at my collection of "sticky notes."  I started to chuckle as I realized that I had become my grandmother!!!!


A wise friend asked me last night if maybe making such lists was a bad idea; if maybe it would be discouraging instead of helpful.  Perhaps for some people, but for me I love it...1) I love crossing things off that I have finished!!! and 2) it gets rid of my "brain clutter."  If it is written down I don't have to keep thinking about it.


I have a list tucked away in a notebook that is the "long term" or bigger projects, like the spot of the basement ceiling that really needs to be repainted.  The long list on the counter is the "mindless" things that need to happen soon, such as scheduling dentist appointments, getting car repairs, and currently a whole sticky dedicated to next Saturday's Scout Day Camp that I am in charge of carrying out.


Then there is the "daily" list; the one at the bottom.  It keeps me on track for that day's appointments, kid lessons, etc.  Gratefully I typically only have 2 or so lists at a time!!  Right now is just a little busy.


The only downside to all of this is that I feel like a quote from Marjorie Pay Hinckley when she was a young mom.  She said, “Last Thursday at [the General Authorities] Wives luncheon two of the granddaughters of Susa Young Gates gave a musical skit of her life.  She was a prolific writer, do-good-er, organizer, etc., etc., etc.  I turned to Sister Kimball and said, “It makes me wonder what I am doing with my life.”  “You are running to and fro,” she quipped.  She was right.  I am running to and fro and shiver to think that someday I will have to account for the time spent.”  (Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley pg 87)


Many of these things I do are just things that "have to be done" to keep things running smoothly. I suppose one of the biggest challenges in life is deciding what's most important and making sure those don't get left off the list!!!

No comments: