Friday, July 4, 2008

Opportunities for growth


Recently I received an email from a group I belong to for moms of LDS missionaries. One sister talked about some really hard things that her son had gone through on his mission, and how that had been a trial of her faith as well. As a parent it is always hard to watch our children struggle and have difficulties. However, she went on to say that in retrospect she sees how those experiences shaped him to be better prepared to deal with trials that came later in his life.

I have gone through experiences at different times in my life that have made me really struggle, and that weren't fun; sometimes, I hate to admit, I would even question the "why." Looking back (hindsight is 20/20!) I am better able to recognize the blessings that have come as a result of those experiences.

There is a relatively new CD out by Kenneth Cope. He has a song on it called "Where You Are." I want to share some of the words of this song with you:

I'm talkin' Daniel in the den of the lions,
Talkin' Jonah in the belly of a whale,
I'm talkin' three Hebrew children
And they're standing in the furnace, the fiery furnace.
But the fire didn't burn them,
And the lions didn't bite,
And the Lord reached down and you can be sure that
Everything turned out right.
Oh you'll meet the Lord in the furnace
Long time 'fore you meet Him in the sky.

Meet Him in your time of trial,
Meet Him in your hour of prayer,
You can reach out and I'll bet
You'll find that He's there.

And the fire won't burn you,
And the lions won't bite,
And the Lord will reach down and you can be sure that
Everything will turn out all right
Oh, you'll meet the Lord in the furnace
Long time 'fore you meet Him in the sky,
Then you'll meet Him in the sky.
(Kenneth Cope copyright 1991)

Sometimes when things seem difficult, my husband and I joke that we need to make sure we get it right so the Lord doesn't make us repeat this learning opportunity!! (For more on this topic see Neal Maxwell "Encircled in the Arms of His Love" http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=ea59ee9ba42fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
It seems it all comes down to truly having faith in the Lord and submitting our will to His, having the faith to know that if we allow our will to be swallowed up in the will of the Lord, "everything will turn out all right."

No comments: